For those of you who have Froyo (FRG01B) on your Droid already, why not root it? UnstableApps has updated their application EasyRoot on the Android Market to root Android 2.2 on the Motorola Droid/Milestone and the Motorola Droid X.
Why root Froyo? Plenty of reasons: BusyBox, Drocap, WiFi Tether, Custom Roms (although I prefer vanilla Froyo). All of these are also included with EasyRoot! Just a few more taps and you can install all of these awesome apps from the EasyRoot UI:
And if you're just not sure you want to take the plunge, there's always the option to unroot with 1 tap right in the EasyRoot app. What's the down side? The app isn't free... it costs $0.99 on the Android Market. I'm sure it's justifiable to spend $0.99 on this app to unleash the real potential of your Droid.
To download EasyRoot click here from your Android Device or search the Android Market for EasyRoot from UnstableApps!
Google has suspended this application from the Android Market, so Unstable Apps has put the app out on the internet!
Click here to download EasyRoot from Unstable Apps!
If you haven't automatically received the update and you're anxious install Android v2.2 (FROYO) on your Motorola DROID then you've come to the right place. You can download the update.zip right here, copy it to your SD card and install it directly!
(NOTE: Download to your PC and copy to your phone over USB to avoid "Signature verification failed. Installation aborted" issues caused by corrupt downloads!)
1) Download update.zip here!
2) Copy update.zip to the root of your SD card.
3) Shut off your DROID.
4) Turn on your DROID while holding down the physical X key on the keyboard.
5) When you see the exclamation image, like below, press the volume up and camera keys at the same time.
6) Using the D-Pad select the "apply sdcard:update.zip" and press the center (gold) button.
7) Watch the update install and enjoy Android v2.2 (FRG01B/FROYO)!