If you haven't received the update and you're just itching to install Android v2.1 on your Motorola DROID then you've come to the right place. You can download the update.zip right here, copy it to your SD card and install it directly! In no time you're going to see rooted roms with the ESE81 build!
1) Download update.zip here!
2) Copy update.zip to the root of your SD card.
3) Shut off your DROID.
4) Turn on your DROID holding down the physical X key on the keyboard.
5) When you see the exclamation image, like below, press the volume up and camera keys at the same time.
6) Using the D-Pad select the "apply sdcard:update.zip" and press the center (gold) button.
7) Watch the update install and enjoy Android v2.1 (ESE81)!